Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/040214.cfm

Today’s readings focuses on Jesus the Messiah, the one who came to redeem all from sin. The Lord answered the long-awaited prayers of his people by sending his only Son. However, the Pharisees fail to see God’s power to heal and restore people to wholeness of life through Jesus Christ. They accuse him of blasphemy and condemn him. Jesus says, “whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me has eternal life.” The Pharisees, instead, were concerned only over the fact that it was Saturday. I find myself wondering when I have refused to recognize God’s mercy and love, which never ceases for a moment, in my life because of my pride. I’m so fixated on hearing what I want to hear that I miss God’s voice when I’m being spoken to.


I find solace in two lines: from Isaiah’s reading “I will never forget you” and from John’s gospel, “I cannot do anything on my own.” When I’m drowning in my pile of homework and stressing out about everything that needs to get done before graduation it’s easy for me to miss God’s presence in my life. I am easily distracted and consumed by my To-Do List that I believe God has abandoned me. Today’s readings challenge me to take a step back and recognize that I have not been forgotten, none of us have. The Lord is always present sharing in my joy and pain. It is I who have to remember that “I cannot do anything on my own.” My burden will be lighter when I share it with the Lord. We have to fix our eyes on Jesus. We need him - his Grace - to plunge us into the waters of prayer, of the opening of our spirit. May we be bearers of his light.

Jennifer Monsalve
FCRH 2014

1 comment: