Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Today's Word:


Growing up Jewish, I always heard my friends talk about what they were giving up for Lent, and I watched as some did better than others in their endeavor to commemorate Jesus' fasting in the desert. However, I never really understood the point of all of it. When I was asked to write this reflection, I Googled, "What is the point of Lent?” What I found told me that Lent is a season of self-examination, fasting, and penance.

I understand that the whole process of Lent is so that the renewal of baptismal promises actually means something. I don’t think one needs to be Catholic in order to find meaning in the Lenten season. Recently I have been having these mini-epiphanies about what my personal beliefs actually are. Perhaps if I actually devoted some thought to it, my convictions would become clearer to me. Self-examination takes work, and for those of us who do not have a religious obligation to participate in Lent, it provides a form of motivation to take on the project of self-examination. So this year, instead of giving up cookies from the cafeteria, I will be giving up accepting snap judgments about people as true. My penance will come in the form of the realization that words have meaning and the way I have used words in the past may have caused someone pain. I may not be Catholic, or even particularly religious for that matter, but I believe that I can learn something by participating in Lent this year (and yes, I still am giving up cafeteria cookies).

Hannah Buckley
President of the Jewish Student Organization
FCRH 2016

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your reflections. Even more so because you are Jewish and took the time to reflect on Lent and your own beliefs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete