Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Today's Word:

           The readings for today made me think of an Ancient Literature course I took freshmen year where we read and discussed the story of Jacob wrestling with God. (Genesis 32: 24) At the time this story challenged the traditional way I had of viewing God. Instead of a distant and overwhelmingly powerful God, here was a God who wanted to engage humans, who was present directly on the Earth, and who wants to be wrestled with.

In the readings today, Moses seems to be doing the same thing, wrestling with and struggling to hold back God’s wrath from the Israelites. Negotiating with God is something I do often, but I have noticed that many times my negotiations become less like good conversations.  To me, good conversations occur where both sides are receptive and open to change, but my prayer all too often ends up being me, intractable acting like a cemented wall, as God tries again and again to gently pry the wall apart.

            Too often I think that my prayers resemble the wall above, or I feel afraid or nervous to share my doubts or questions with God.  I know that I need to be more like Moses, who raises his qualms about God’s plans for Israel’s destruction and saves his people. 


God, please help me to become more like Moses, a servant of you who is unafraid to enter into real conversation. When I may make plans and desires in my own heart, help me to share them and develop them into what you intend by working with you.

John Tracey
FCRH 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment