Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/040114.cfm

        In today’s first reading, an angel brings Ezekiel to the river, where he sees the abundance of life the water brings to its surroundings – trees blossom, overflowing with flowers and fruit. These living things grow and prosper thanks to the river’s steadfast generosity. I find myself asking, “Where, in my own life, am I nourished in this way?” I think of the people who lift me up – roommates, friends, co-workers. I think of the things I am passionate about. I think of quiet time alone with my thoughts. It’s easy for me to forget about all of the rivers that bring me life. By taking some time to reflect on these generous sources, I am offered two major privileges. First, I can bask in the light of gratitude, thanking God and others (and even myself!) for all that I have. Secondly, I can remind myself of the many of places I can go to for healing. I need only to remember my path to the river, sit on its banks, and dip my feet in. I welcome this opportunity to rest – and to continue to grow.
         
        Refreshed by the recognition of these graces with which I am blessed, I feel ready to answer Christ’s call in today’s gospel – “Rise, take up your mat, and walk.” This is not a question but an imperative, and I find that incredibly powerful. The Son of Man has no time for my excuses. He is my strength, but only I can control what I do with that strength. It’s often difficult for me to figure out where God is calling me. I often over-think my choices, worrying myself until my thoughts are even more muddled than when I began. How could I rise and walk if I don’t know which path I should take? With these seven words, however, Christ frees me of these worries, allowing and encouraging me to take the first step. 

Courtney Code
FCRH 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment