Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/031814.cfm

I find that the humility we are called to in the gospel is possible because of the forgiveness that is extended to us by God as shown in Isaiah.  It often seems to me that one of the most scandalous aspects of Catholicism is forgiveness.  It has been easier for me to forgive others than it has been for me to forgive myself.  I find this to be especially true in one given moment in my time here at Fordham.


One day I was going to the Grace Baptist Church Soup Kitchen with the Pedro Arrupe Faith and Justice Council.  However, I was tired because I had stayed out and up late the night before, even though I knew that I was supposed to be heading to the soup kitchen at 11:15 in the morning.  While we were working there, for the first half, I tried to hectically account for all the factors of the work.  Instead, in my exhaustion I made countless mistakes, up to and including spilling juice on the serving table.  While I ameliorated the spill to the best of my ability, I had to take a moment’s pause to assess what to do next.  While I regretted my choices from the previous night as selfish in the light of the current charitable work, I could not let that paralyze me.  So I decided that I should focus on pouring the soup into the containers.  I honed my attention upon the importance of cleaning each container, for the sake of each person that I was not even able to see enter the soup kitchen as others were now serving.  The attention transformed the work from one of exhaustion to one of joy.  The whole ordeal reminded me of how God does forgive, even as I remembered to recount this at Confession.  It also reminded me that Christ wants us to flourish in the simple expression of our fullest selves, and that there is strength in the grace of this recognition to walk on joyfully.

Thomas Ginch
FCRH 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment