Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday, March 7, 2014

Today's Word:


During Lent I hear others talk about the things they are giving up or sacrificing – chocolate, meat, candy and other indulgences.  It always makes me wonder if they are doing it out of tradition or if they are actually taking the time to reflect on what it really means to be without.  What stood out to me from today’s reading from Isaiah 58:1-9a was the question, “Why do we fast, and you do not see it? Afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?”, and the request from God, “This rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly…setting free the oppressed…sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless... and not turning your back on your own.”  These words are so powerful for me because I believe that there is no point in just sacrificing for the sake of doing it and sometimes even bragging about if we don’t take a moment to reflect on the purpose and consider ways to reach out to others.  This reminds me of the concept of having empathy and understanding for the experiences of others versus physically reaching out and helping those less fortunate. In the work I do in Multicultural Affairs, I often have conversations with people who are thinking about their own language and openness to others, but when we discuss taking action by confronting bias language or speaking up when they see someone using hurtful words, there seems to be a disconnect.  I would love to see both a reflection of one’s own heart and words along with reaching out on behalf of others.  Lent is a great time to stop and consider how to move beyond our fast by taking action and “not turning your back on your own.”

Sofia Bautista Pertuz
Assistant Dean & Director for Multicultural Affairs

No comments:

Post a Comment