Thursday, March 13, 2014

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/031314.cfm

"Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, for I am taking my life in my hand."

My grandmother always tells my siblings and me when we complain about having too much homework or not wanting to do our chores, that God helps those who help themselves.  She said this so we would realize, as Queen Esther says in today's first reading, that the Lord "always free[s] those who are pleasing to" Him.  She wanted to instill in us that, as much as we believe that God will help us when we fall, free us from our constraints, and forgive us when we sin, it's a two-way street: why do we put the burden on God when we can take our lives into our own hands and help ourselves (as well as others)?


God is with us in good times and bad, and when we call for help, He will answer us.  But even this places some responsibility in ourselves - we need to be willing to recognize that when we need the Lord's assistance and guidance we must seek it. This leads to praise and gratitude - as much as we like to think that we are self-sufficient and can truly be in autonomous control of our lives, we are in great need of God's help and should express our thanks to Him.  It's all too easy to forget this part. We think that our successes are ours alone, and we blame others, not ourselves, if something goes wrong.  Why are we so quick to blame but hesitant to praise? We should recognize that the Lord turns "our sorrows into wholeness" and praise Him for His kindness. This Lent I am keeping in mind my need to be more grateful, and express my gratitude and praise.

Gianna Sciangula
FCLC 2015

1 comment: