Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday, March 21, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/032114.cfm

“The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone…”

Jesus was held in contempt by some chief priests and Pharisees not just for the reason that he blasphemed or dissented from the laws, but because Jesus saw into their hearts and laid bare their hypocrisy before all. Jesus was pointing out to them what was missing in their lives of public piety and sanctimoniousness: LOVE.                                              

In our daily lives, we are sometimes forced to accept the fact that our actions though seemingly noble are lacking the most important ingredient and motivation of love. The love of God, which necessitates the love of self and love of neighbor, often falls through the cracks of our lives and eventually becomes absent from our motives. Duty, habit and pride quickly slip into its place, silently but drastically changing the nature of our actions.

I like to describe my period of involvement in volunteer work at the beginning of my junior year as being a time of exponential personal growth and recognition of purpose. However, I often needed to turn inwards and ask a question: in making my time, skills and energy available to those in need, was I sincerely being charitable or was this a way for me to be convinced of what a magnanimous person I was? I constantly needed to remind myself that once love ceased to be the cornerstone of my thoughts and actions, everything collapsed into a pile of emptiness and vanity.


It is dangerously easy to cast aside the cornerstone of love in favor of a more gratifying and self-serving approach to good works. I pray that during this season of Lent characterized by prayer, penance and love-inspired sacrifice, we may never dismiss love as being a mere building block, but instead recognize it as the rightful cornerstone of our lives. 

Doreen Ivy Bentum
FCRH 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment