Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday, March 14, 2014

Today's Word:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/031414.cfm

In the reading from Ezekiel the desire of God is revealed to us. "Do I indeed derive any pleasure from the death of the wicked? says the Lord GOD" NO! God derives no pleasure from the death of the wicked! God loves us! He is crazy about us!

I think this is something I always need to remind myself in prayer. It's easy for me to get caught up with all of the things that I think I need to do or I think I am doing wrong. I will often spend a good deal of my time in prayer worrying if I am going to be able to do everything that God wants me to do. I will ask for the strength to get through the day and list all the things I think I will need help with.

I am coming into this Lent from a place of great frustration. I have been having back problems for a while now, and I am starting to accept that there is a lot of things that I just can't do at the moment. Its frustrating, partly because I am a young person and feel like I am expected to be able to do a lot of things. What I am realizing now and what I am trying to spend my time praying over this Lent is the fact that God loves me as me.


God is not out to look for the things I am doing wrong. He's not trying to come up with some complex set of expectations that I could never live up to. God takes no pleasure in the death of a wicked man! He wants me to do well and he wants to love me as me. I spend my prayer now asking God to help me see that I have all the strength I need to be good in His eyes. No matter how feeble I feel, God loves me in that state and wants me to be at peace with it.

Alex Placke, SJ
FCRH 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment